POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Curiosity : Re: Curiosity Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:21:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Curiosity
From: Invisible
Date: 5 Mar 2008 08:20:27
Message: <47ce9e1b$1@news.povray.org>
>> Eventually the course came to a close. (Shortly before Christmas
>> actually.)
>
> I did wonder, but it seemed you'd only attended about two classes.

Actually 11 classes. Most of which just involved sitting around drawing
stuff. [Which I could have done myself.] And being told about all the
stuff I did wrong. [Which is also pretty self-evident.]

>> Did I learn *anything* useful? Yes, probably.
>
> Probably?

I learned the following facts:

- Drawing is FREAKING HARD! I had assumed that there's a special
technique to it. But no, there isn't. I had assumed that drawing only
*seems* hard because I'm doing it the wrong way. But no, actually it
*really is* hard. And that's all there is to it.

- Getting the proportions of shapes and the angles of lines exactly
correct is insanely important. (I was really shocked when the teacher
got out a ruler and started *measuring* my hand-drawn image. But sure,
the line is definitely 8 mm longer than it should be. Jesus, I need to
be THAT ACCURATE???)

- I tend to obsess about drawing tiny details rather than looking at the
whole image to check whether it's actually in proportion.

- You can check proportions by lining various image elements up against
each other. (E.g., a person's nose is supposed to line up with their
ears. If it doesn't... they look pretty retarded.)

- Empty space is really important.

That more or less summarises what I learned. I still can't draw very
well - but I've got a little better at copying drawings...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/